Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:03:23 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: My 1981 again
Comments: To: SEAN.GARRETT@ASU.EDU

I often have small events that happen to my 83 Westy. dash lights go out. engine idles at 1200 -1500 rpm after a good hard run for a couple of hours at 70 mph. minute oil leaks around strainer cover plate or from push rod seals, valve covers tranny hard shifting when its cold sink water pump requires several attempts to get it pumping. fridge hard to light on LP courtesy lights overhead often quit for a day or two Since you're new to the vehicle I'd suggest that you replace all of the FI fuel lines (use Fuel Injection hose not regular gas line), replace the lower FI Injector seals, clamp all of the vacuum lines, replace the bad ones, be sure your timing is dead on at 7.5 degrees, replace all non-Bosch ignition with genuine Bosch parts, replace the oil pressure sender, check all wires and grounds in the engine compartment (FI ground wires under 4 way intake box), check the condition of your throttle cable where it comes through the fire wall.

Stan Wilder

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:52:37 -0700 Sean Garrett <SEAN.GARRETT@ASU.EDU> writes: > Ha, I discover new things everyday on this van. This morning I > noticed my > dash clock light came on (it has been off since I got it on the > road). So > now my whole dash is lighted. Also my left turn signal seems to not > blink > sometimes but is getting better everyday. I think there might be > some dust > on the contacts working its way out. > > Also I noticed that the wipers have a delay on them... I cant > believe that > this was standard for a 1981 vintage vehicle... WOW. > > I believe that the PO gave it so much bad karma from letting it fall > into > disrepair that my caring touch (and unquestionable desire to throw > large > sums of money at it) have turned into a self healing vehicle ;-) > > So now I am embarking on restoring the interior. I just replaced all > the > utility outlets on the outside. Plugged in the fridge to 120v and it > seems > to work (fins started getting cold) but it makes a sound (which > continued > for about 10 minutes after I cut off power to it). The sound goes > like > this... KaaaLunk........KaaaLunk.....KaaaLunk.... repeating > softly. > > I cannot test it on LP yet due to difficulties finding a new > regulator. > > Also cannot get the drivers door to close properly, it bounces back > out to > the 2cd notch on the latch (even with all windows down. This IS a > adjustment > issue. I just don't know what to adjust 1st, the strike plate or the > latch > mechanism. > > > > > > Sean Garrett > Technical Support Analyst Sr. > Information Technology > Arizona State University East > sean.garrett@asu.edu > 480.727.1158 > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.