Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Feb 2002 20:22:23 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Reverse osmosis water is NOT ideal
Comments: To: developtrust@HOME.COM

Willian said: Had I known that distilled water was ideal for coolant for my vanagon I would have used distilled water but I suppose just filtered water will not be that bad. -------------------------- Stan Said: You can't reverse the process that has started in your engine. Then the real question: Do you really think that the type of water mixed with your anti freeze really causes all those problems, water pump failure, heads leaking, plastic fittings failing etc. ? I've been running outboard boat engines with aluminum blocks for forty years and run of the mill lake water has never caused one of them to fail.

Stan Wilder

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 17:24:11 -0800 developtrust <developtrust@HOME.COM> writes: > Reverse osmosis is an absolute joke. It totally wastes 3 gallons of > water > for every one gallon of only second rate purified water (not > distilled) and > the waste of water is immoral. Yet the R/O sales force has convinced > the > buyer that this is a viable alternative. One day R/O water will be > illegal > when ordinary water will be a premium and wasting 3 gallons down the > drain > will not be allowed. People with R/O systems do not even recycle the > wasted > water into their garden or other uses. > > A distilled water system costs less in the long run. We have one in > our home > and it saves us way more than buying water from those vendor > machines. > > Had I known that distilled water was ideal for coolant for my > vanagon I > would have used distilled water but I suppose just filtered water > will not > be that bad. > > William Polowniak > 1989 Vanagon GL > 1988 Mercedes 300 SE > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "John McLean" <jaymac@INTERNETCDS.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 5:11 PM > Subject: Re: distilled water & wbx reliabilty > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > << What is the rationale for distilled water. >> > > > > > > > > The cooling system requires deionized water. > > > > > > > > Also, deionized H2O is offered by antifreeze manufacturers at > inflated > prices. > > > > > > > > > > Distilled, deionized, and demineralized water will all work > about the > > > same for our purposes. Water can be deionized or demineralized > with a > > > filter. The ones I use to purify the water for my H. S. > chemistry > > > classes cost about $60 and are good for about 80 > gallons.(Chicago water, > > > YMMV) Less trouble than operating and cleaning a still. > Distilling is > > > better at removing organic impurities like benzene, gasoline, > etc. but > > > I'm mainly concerned about the calcium, magnesium, iron, > aluminum, etc. > > > compounds. > > > > > > > Around my area there are several stores large and small that have > RO > (reverse > > osmosis) dispensers out front that dispense > > pure water into your own containers for .25 per gallon. Is this > a west > coast > > phenomenon? > > > > John McLean 87 Vanagon GL > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.