Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Feb 2002 00:19:33 -0500
From:         Mark Ball <pastormark4@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Optima Yellow vs. Red as Starter Battery
Comments: To: lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET

I have an Optima Yellow Top that I have used on several occations as my primary starting battery (long story). I have had it for 8 or 9 months and used it as the starting battery a little more that half that time. It worked great. However because of the price $170 (yellow top) vs about $45 and the cold cranking amps 550(yellow top) vs 775 I would not go buy one just for a starting batt unless 1. I was really worried about batt fumes (the yellow top excells here). 2. I wanted to use only one batt for both starting and camping. In which case I'd have a good set of jumper cable around. Or 3. my vehicle sat for more than a week at a time without being started and driven. Which mine does not. If any of these exist the Optima yellow top would be great.

SEE THE LONG VERSION BELOW.

My yellow top is now wired via manual switch as my aux batt. Per optima rep's advice. I bought mine to use as an aux. batt. I kept getting different views on using a battery isolator and finally after talking to the Optima rep I decided to use a manual batt switch (like you would use in a boat). The rep was very firm that an isolator would not be a good idea because the optima (maybe all deep cycles batteries) charge to a slightly higher voltage etc. etc. etc. Hey I figured he was the expert.

It has served well as a starting battery and as the aux. Now that i have a nice type 41 for starting. The main reason i bought the yellow top was the Optima rep told me that it would take a charge from the alternator better that any other deep cycle battery on the market( as long as the voltage was between 13.8 an d 15 volts. Some of the other deep cycle batteries I looked at would fit , were cheaper and even had a greater storage capacity but would not charge well from an alternater. I'm sold on the yellow top as the aux batt. But again because of the cost and cca I wold not go out and buy one to use solely as a starting batt.

On a recent trip to Virginia I camped out 9 days in really cold wheather and used my computer and radio alot to watch DVD's at night along with the lights and fan to circulate warm air. The battery was always ready to go. I actually didn't switch to the starting battery except for a couple of times. I was on the road everyday but one or two and drove about 970 miles so the system worked great at night and charged back up during the day. I never had a shore cord the entire 9 days.