Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:52:56 -0800
From:         Brian Cochran <rangerbrian@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gas in Oil fill
Comments: To: tobin.copley@UBC.CA

Actually, the oil dipstick (at least on US models) runs through a tube to the left of the oil fill pipe. So, reasons #2 thru #4 below don't work. The other reasons could be that one would have to continue to to hold the filler nozzle, since there isn't a tight fitting hole.

Some people are just baffled but "the way things work". There are all sorts of stories reveal the ignorance of vehicle owners. The focus should be on the owner lending his Vanagon to someone like this. I would just turn anyone loose on a vanagon without some sort of briefing. The vanagon isn't the ordinary style car. If I lend mine out, I'm going to give all if its quirky details to the borrower. brian 84 westy seattle

tobin wrote:

Okay, I gotta ask: how could anyone *possibly* do this? We hear about this happening from time to time on the list, and it blows me away every time. I just don't get it.

I mean, picture it: Someone is used to American cars with the gasoline fill tube behind the license plate, so pulls back the plate and finds a tube with a cap on it there and starts to go at it thinking it's where the gas goes. Okay, I can follow it to that point. BUT:

1) The "gas cap" is marked "oil" (although it may not be legible if it's really dirty); 2) It's got an OIL DIP STICK right through the centre of the cap (the one marked "oil," remember?) 3) The dip stick has to be pulled out before the cap can be unscrewed (unless they demonstrate impressive dexterity); 4) The dip stick will have OIL on it.