Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:37:27 -0500
From:         John Reynolds <kayakjr@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: wbx reliabilty

Just remember when someone starts talking about the reliability of cars in Europe - Europeans do not expect as much as we do, nor do they typically rack up miles like we No. Americans do. That's one reason why Japanese cars are more popular here than in Europe (I know there are other, bigger, factors- tariffs, nationality, etc).

A co-worker of mine in France could not under stand why we do not have Renaults (or Fiats, Ugh!) - I explained their reputation of going 32,406 miles and then both door handles off- he said "Really? Mine is quite reliable." and then went on to explain how we don't maintain our cars. Then he stated he had been through 3 exhaust manifolds. He did not have an answer when I asked how one is supposed to maintain an exhaust manifold.

As to Mercedes - I admire them, but the modern ones are impressive in terms of reliability - check out the M Class rating - very, very poor. Between the 2 Benz's and BMW's that the pres and VP of my company had - well, it was amusing to see the mechanics continually picking up their cars while my Honda keep running and still is 226,000 miles and 12 years later.

If only if all the 2002's had not rusted away right of California - That's a BMW I would love to have.

John R