Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:58:38 -0800
From:         Debra Clark <debra_clark@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Thanks and advice for top (safe & sound) cruising speed

First, let me thank everyone who replied with explanations and help concerning my oil light and buzzer coming on JUST once for a few seconds while exiting and slowing down. I've had this checked and there are no leaks, no electrical problems (that can be found now) and yes, my oil level was a bit high which someone suggested could have prompted this under these circumstances.

My kids and I went camping this weekend and, although we got a bit wet, we had a blast. I plan to do a lot more as the weather warms.

Now to my latest question which I did check in the archives. Maybe I didn't use the right string of words but I didn't come up with much. My husband and I are planning to take the Vanagon (1990 Multivan, 140,000 miles) on it's first out of town excursion during spring break. It's basically S.D. California to Sedona, Az. About an 8 or 9 hour trip. I've told my husband that I think we shouldn't push it more than 55-60 mph. He thinks this is rather stupid and that we can drive 65-70. Now, don't jump all over him or me, but I'd really like more input so that he (or I) can be more knowledgeable. This car is an automatic so I'm concerned about the high RPM's over a longer distance when we don't know the car that well. Also, I don't want to over-extend the engine when we really bought it for local camping and we do have an alternative car for this trip. But it would be more fun in the Vanagon. At what speed do all of you cruise?

Debra Clark Santee, California debra_clark@yahoo.com