Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Feb 2002 23:05:22 -0800
From:         David Jaffe <orhiker1@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      FS:  1986 Syncro Westy "Stealth Camper" in Portland Oregon -
Comments: To: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com, syncro@yahoogroups.com

Folks,

Selling my current Syncro to get another one & begin a new project. I've owned it for 15 months (5K mi) and started with a blue interior 7-seater non-Westy w/o sunroof or poptop. Its now a full gray Westfalia, and everything works wonderfully. All the upgrades listed below were done by me or for me, most within last 5 months (2K mi). This one has many, many upgrades & new components. I call it the "Stealth Camper" because you can park it regular parking garages. You get the full ground clearance but two sunroofs instead of a poptop. (With no kids, I didn't need more sleeping space, and the sunroofs give MUCH better light & ventilation.)

1986 Syncro Vanagon, 5-speed, 173K mi, Flash Silver

** Mechanical ** 2.1WBX, great, NO leaks, no HCs in coolant. (Heads done by PO at 88K. Last compression test (July '01) was 165 150 165 165) Viscous Coupler (New) < 1K mi Drive shaft U-joint (New) & balance < 1K mi (no vibrations at any RPM) Transmission (Rebuilt) with .77 4th gear < 2K mi (Now using Redline synthetic oil) 5x 27x8.5 14" Wildcat tires (New) < 4K mi (on 5-tire rotation schedule, Les Schwab) 3x rebuilt CVs (rear) < 2K mi Rear heater core (New) < 3K mi Muffler, cat & O2 sensor (New) < 5K mi Rear wheel cylinders (New) < 5K mi Multiple cooling hoses & press cap (New) < 5K mi

** External/Internal ** Full gray Westy interior from 1988 donor - EVERYTHING except pop-top (3-way fridge/stove unit, all cabinets, trim panels, full curtain set & bug screen) 2x tinted, removable sunroofs (one front, one rear) Swivels and arm rests on both front seats Fiberglass bumpers & FULL body moulding Towing hitch & wiring All tinted glass except windshield Carat rear window vents Air Conditioning (I never used it so removed belt - at minimum needs a charge) New charcoal gray carpeting (complete set) plus seat pedestals (GoWesty!) Rear table and leg Propane tank tested, scraped & painted

** Unusual Upgrades ** 3x additional permanent 12V outlets Locking, lighted center console w/2 more 12V outlets Overhead 12V dual-light unit above rear bench JVC 40W Cassette Player w/12 CD Changer 4x Infinity speakers (two 5"x7", two 6.5") 150W subwoofer amplifier & 8" Kicker subwoofer Soundproofing all doors (cement-type coating) plus floor & deck lid (padding) - Cascade Audio Engineering H4 E-Code headlights (awesome visibility difference) upgraded rear lights (running, turn, brake, reverse) Auxiliary battery (OPTIMA Yellow Top) w/isolator Interior rustproofing Custom lumbar support inside driver's seat

It has the original paint with no rust issues outside or underneath. There is a scratch on the sliding door, and a spot of paint missing on the back hatch (approx silver dollar size).

$15,500 Would consider trade+cash for Syncro Adventurewagen or select Syncro 7-seater or Weekender. (Since I'm getting another Syncro, I'd consider purchase credit for things you don't want, e.g. headlights, subwoofer & amp, tow hitch, body moulding, and/ or driver's seat.) Pics are, of course, available. (You can see my bright rear running-lights artistically captured (photo credit to Anita Lennon), half-way down the main page at http://www.wetwesties.org/.)

Thanks,

David Jaffe 1986 Syncro West'faux'lia 1982 Diesel -> I4 Westy 1997 Passat TDI Portland, Oregon