Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Feb 2002 02:59:07 EST
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: distilled water & wbx reliabilty
Comments: To: eddebolt@softcom.net

In a message dated 2/18/02 10:11:14 PM, eddebolt@SOFTCOM.NET writes:

<< Frank

whats your read on how often coolant should be changed?

Well actually, the best way to tell is to measure the pH. Cheap pH paper test kits available from Edwards Scientific or the local pool store. Change it as soon as it goes out of the neutral range. Acidic (less than 5) or basic (more than 9).

Barring that, the issue is the hardness of the initial and replenishment water, and the amount of air in the system. In Glendale, CA and much of the LA basin that runs off a high Colorado River water mix, the hardness of basic tap water is around 15 grains. I never see less than 7 or more than 35, but that still defines the water as moderately hard. Under these conditions, I would take a 5 year product and change it every 3 years.

Now the diesel and gasoline inline 4 engines are very robust. Had a local friend who had a diesel Vanagon, purchased new. He started to complain about that ubiquitous sweet smell in the passenger compartment. Heater gone. I noticed substantial corrosion at the heater control valve after removing the heater hose. Said I: When did you change the coolant last? Said he: Didn't know you had to! He went 12 years on the original charge. Water added from time to time. Replaced the heater, changed the coolant and he's still smoking (couldn't resist). Remember folks, this is anecdotal evidence. No measurements, just the concept of evolution being badly mangled!

In fact, the coolant change scenario on the Vanagon is a PITA. Had a friend at the now defunct local VW dealer (service manager). Sometime in 1990 he was remarking about what an unreliable device (was going to say POC, but that would be inflammatory) the WBX was. The dealership had one master mechanic who specialized in the WBX. No-one else was permitted to work on them. The dealership also had a special arrangement with him on rework. He got paid his flat rate regardless of whether or not it was a warranty return. If not covered by VW, the difference was eaten by the dealership. He also said that over the years, the diesel Vanagon had three problems:

1. Injection pump failure due to water in the fuel and failure to bleed the water trap periodically.

2. Head gasket failure because some idiot didn't adequately bleed the system and an air pocket got trapped in the head.

3. Owner deceased or damaged by falling asleep on a long uphill grade on a straight multimile stretch of interstate. (Translation - so slow that life and excitement just passed him by -- leads to diesel Vanagon Westfalia catatonic driver syndrome).

Based on the above, I'll confess that I usually change every 5 years. Never saw the pH change yet on my machines. BUT, I periodically (about once a year) siphon out app the accessible coolant in the reservoir and recovery tanks. Then replace with fresh 50-50 mix. This recharges the additives and is probably adequate for a 10 year cycle!