Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Feb 2002 05:44:27 EST
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Seat Input requested
Comments: To: lchase@attglobal.net

In a message dated 2/18/02 10:24:30 PM Pacific Standard Time, lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET writes:

<< Any experience with these or other seats would be most welcome input.

Other seat suggestions ...... also welcome.

<< Corbeau Sport Seat .... ~$700 pair http://www.bus-boys.com/sportseat.jpg >>

Very good seats for a small car. Side bolsters make it near impossible to get in and out of a Vanagon unless you are built like a toothpick. I've used various Corbeau seats in past Porsches. They are usually quite comfortable and offer a wider seats than most aftermarket sport seats. They are usually heavier than most. You will have to buy new tracks to install these.

<< Aardvarc Racing: > reconditioned 320is Recaro seats ~ $750 pair http://www.2002parts.com/tancloth.jpg >>

Excellent seats. This is the early version. I have these in my e30 323i. They were offered from the e-21 series (320i,323i, etc.) up to the very early e-30 (325e, 323i, etc.). They have the same problem as the Corbeau seats as the sides are quite high. They are very good for touring if you can get past he sides. This one has a lift and set thigh bolster. The later ones have a knob which you turn to extend the thigh support. You can see this ones thigh support adjuster as a metal bar in front of the seat itself. Installation is a snap. They mount with four bolts on the floor. Drill four holes and you've got the tracks ready to go.

As for used Vanagon seats, well, the later ones are almost identical to the early ones. The westy seats are under padded. The later ones are just plain flat and uncomfotable as the early ones. Later ones have the adjustable armrests.

BTW, you are close enough to my area that you should check out some less expensive Dee Sportseats that are similar. My local parts guy has a pair of black ones available. Someone ordered them and never picked them up. Also consider early GTI seats. They are very similar to the eary Recaros but have the same side bolster proeblem. They are tricky to install as their tracks are totally different. You will have to fabbricate something with these.

I hope that helps.

BenT San Francisco