Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:27:43 -0800
From:         Walter Evens <wrevens@MYEXCEL.COM>
Subject:      Crossed coil wires, Any possible damage??

Hey gang:

While trouble shooting the other day I broke out my can of contact cleaner and cleaned the connections on the coil, distributor plug, Hall plug, relays and relay box plug.

I apparently crossed two of the coil wires. Looking down from the engine bay, there is one on the left (drivers side) which is a thicker wire, one on the bottom that attaches to a yellow connector and one on the right (engine side) that comes out of the same harness the injector wires do.

I thought I was paying better attention, but I accidentally switched the yellow connector wire on the bottom with the one on the right that comes out of the injector harness. What damage if any, could I have caused to the system? Could I have fried my Hall unit?

On another note and possibly related, after I did this I noticed the starter would turn the engine over and then drag as if the engine were out of time. I brought the engine to TDC this morning and set the rotor to the mark on the distributor. It still had the drag and drained my battery like crazy. I switched them back, but by then the battery was almost dead. The battery is new by the way, but if it persists, I will take it and have it tested tomorrow after a good nights charge.

I know one of you electrical experts will probably know this. What were the two wires I crossed and would they have caused the battery to drain so bad that it would cause the starter to drag. I pulled it (the starter) and had it tested and it kicked in every time so I know it's not that.

Thanks,

Walter Evens Hesperia, CA, USA 2-85GLs