Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:59:17 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine Wear
Comments: To: FrankGRUN@aol.com

And with all that said ........... Mr Wankel came along with a different problem, how to keep the Rs below 8000.

Stan Wilder

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:45:22 EST Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM> writes: > In a message dated 2/19/02 10:47:45 AM, al_knoll@PACBELL.NET writes: > > << Donning my Nomex... > > > I seem to recall that engine wear is proportional to piston feet per > mile. > > How far a piston travels in moving the car one mile. > > > Given same lubricants, operating temperatures, the motor with more > p-ft/mi > > will wear out sooner. > > > Of course there are many other elements in the wear equation too but > P-F/mi > > seemed important enough to "Rod and Truck" to include as a parameter > on > > their road tests. >> > > Al, > > True as far as it goes. More details in a long soliloquy I put in > the > archives about a year ago on piston speeds. To summarize, the > current > materials set (post 1980 for VW/Audi) allows the choice of wall > finishes, > materials, ring surfaces and compositions such that continual > operation at > 5000 rpm with high loads (1 HP per cubic inch) will give a 75% wear > point in > 300,000 km. This is in contrast with a 75% wear point on a 1985 Ford > V8 at > 80,000 miles. The point is that the engineer designs for a > load-wear-life p > rofile. Now it is true that you can reduce the piston ring wear for > the same > engine by 20% by operating it at 4000 rpm vs. 5000. But not the > whole story. > > The thermal transmission from friction and conduction is also a > strong > function rpm, load, etc., etc. But this curve is the locus of a > multi > dimensional plot in which there are real optimal values. Here the > engineers > (plural) set some finely tuned use parameters because this effects > the > thermal efficiency of the heat engine. These and other changes like > cam > timing, valve lift, chamber turbulence, intake runner length, > exhaust gas > pressure phasing, etc. all combine for optimal operating points. > > So a slugmobile (Ford Expedition) is tuned for maximum fuel > efficiency > (oxymoron, sorry) at 1700 rpm and probably gets 0.1 mpg more here > than at > 2000. The optimal operating point for the waterboxers and the inline > 4's is > given in the brake specific power per unit fuel flow curves in the > various VW > design papers I have posted on Alistair Bell's web site. For any > car, max > fuel economy and maximum life will coincide (per unit work done). > This > requires operation at that rpm, full throttle and gearing for > maximum load. > For any given engine rpm and extraction load, there is a consumption > graph > (Alistair doesn't have it posted yet) that shows how much excess > fuel you > need to use to move a load at the non optimal values. Varies by 50% > over the > whole operating space. > > Oh well, if the engine is designed for high rpm run at high rpm. The > loss in > engine life compared to lower rpm running will be unmeasurable. Car > goes for > 200000 miles, or 250000 I still will have my money out of the > conveyance. > > BTW, as near as I can tell no similar data charts have ever been > published by > Fuji Heavy Industries. I can only conclude that they are shamed by > the > comparison with other competitive technologies! > > Frank Grunthaner > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.