Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:53:22 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Subaru wbx reliabilty

>My Subaru went 206,000 miles before blowing. In the time I had it, I >changed timing belts 3 times and one time it did not make it to the >60,000 mile mark and left me by the side of the road waiting for a >tow. Not to mention plenty of front end work and, Exhaust system >repairs, Axles, wheel alignments, tires wheel balancing, And one >cylinder head gasket replacment at 164,000 miles. All about as >expensive as the VW. My van still has the orginal axles, Only needed >Wheel alignments when any front end work was done, only twice in 12 >years. The Exhaust is original and only needs replacement now. I do >think that the 2.2Subaru engine is a good choice in the Vanagon >Since you would have the combination of sturdy chassis and a more >powerful engine. But don't expect it to save you any money. And >remember those pesky timing belt's can leave you stranded with no >warning. >John 1990 vanagon gl

The EA82 SOHC 1.8 is known to be troublesome, prone to overheating and head-cracking. Yours seems to have done rather better than many (not every example will fail prematurely, to be sure). The Legacy-type EJ/EG series is one of the few engines which seem to have no real weakness, and should be a real cheapie to own.

A faulty cambelt can of course occur, but in general they are very reliable. A camchain can stretch or break and even a gear can fail (though far less likely, of course). But most engines these days have belt-driven cams... Some of the EJ series can survive a belt failure without valve damage. -- Regards Andrew