Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:31:14 -0500
From:         Harold Jaynes <petromac@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Engine replacement for 84 Vanagon

Hello Gang:

I'm wondering how the engine replacements are coming along for those that have elected to do so. I have been off the list for about four months so I have not seen any posts since then. I notice that the Subaru engine folks have their own mailing list now. I have three questions:

1) How are the people that have used the Tiico (sp.) transplant doing with their Vanagons? Installation problems? Maintenance problems at all? Can you recommend a shop that has done these installations with no fuss?

2) Does anyone on the list have the Porsche 3.0 engine with the converter package from Martin Schneider (sp.) Personally, I think this would be the funnest and you could always sell the engine pretty easily if you got bored with it (if that's possible). What problems have they had with this installation if any? Any post-installation problems? Is the engine too strong for the tranny?

3) Has anyone done the VR-6 transplant? From reading earlier posts over the years, I'd read about any and everything, but never about the VR-6.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. My options are to rebuild the engine, and the options above. I prefer not to go the Subaru route. I'm making the van a bit funner to drive. I have a shop that is lowering the van quite a bit and putting wide profile tires on. It already looks pretty cool painted Viper red with the smoked windows and the cool huge sunroof. Now to have a great engine in it that will last a long time. Again, thanks for any anticipated responses.

Harold Jaynes Washington DC "If I would have known they were going to make me Pope, I would have studied harder"