Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:37:39 -0500
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thanks and advice for top (safe & sound) cruising speed
Comments: To: BirkenfeldJeff@JohnDeere.com

What you need is different car! With a diesel Jetta, you could just about make it there and back on one tank!

"Birkenfeld Jeff" <BirkenfeldJeff@JohnDeere.com> on 02/20/2002 11:28:32 AM

To: "'vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com'" <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> cc: Jay L Snyder/AE/DuPont@DuPont Subject: RE: Thanks and advice for top (safe & sound) cruising speed

I omitted some info from my original post that as Jay pointed out, would not equate vs my mileage statement: I drive from SW Missouri to Dallas TX (415 miles) 4 times a week, not 4 roundtrips a week. This puts me at about 1660 a week. I only drive this run in the summer and the rest of the time this van mostly sits. My summer runs range from 2nd week in June through late August. This puts me at about 16,000 miles per season or 48,000 miles in 3 yrs. Thanks to Jay for running a calculator to this equation and suggesting an exaggerated tale. There's always another side to any story. My position is to simply state my experience with running the auto trans at a given cruising speed on a particular vehicle.

revised submission: When I drive my van with auto transmission, I drive it 75 all day long (give or take the occasional small town slow down)-about 8 hour trip totaling 415 miles one way, 4 times a week for 10 weeks.

JB