Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:49:23 -0800
From:         Ben McCafferty <ben@KBMC.NET>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] Common problems with Vanagons
Comments: To: oskidbear <jackbarnett@mail.com>, syncro <syncro@yahoogroups.com>

Hi Jack, There are several problems with the locks. One is that the slider mechanism for the locks gets dry, and binds. If you grease it, it fixes a lot of problems. Second, the wiring harness through the front doors is a little too short, so it tends to break the wires inside over time. It usually shows up on the driver's side, since that door is opened and closed more. It's kind of a pain, but you can diagnose it with a continuity tester, and then splice in a little extra wire to make it all longer. All the wires are in that rubber boot, which makes it a bit of a challenge. Finally, I have taken some of the solenoids apart, and they're easy to lubricate and re-assemble. You may have stripped teeth in there, but that's not very common. I'd do the order I just said. As with most VWs, even if you disconnect the power locks, you can't lock the front doors without using a key unless the doors are closed, so if you want to go keyless, you need to exit the side door and lock it before closing. tx, bmc :) "Faith will move mountains, but you'd better bring a shovel...."