Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:46:17 EST
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is radiator bleed screw just a 13 mmbolt?
Comments: To: vgonman@msn.com

Three things from my experience.

First is the new Genuine VW radiator I installed in my bus had a normal 13mm headed bolt and a groove in the radiator threads. There is a copper washer over the bolt that seals it much like the oil drain plug. To clarify the groove is in the threads down one side so when you loosen the bolt there is free flow without taking the bolt all the way out.

Second thing is when I removed my old radiator it seemed not to have the groove the in the radiator side of the threads. There was a copper washe embedded in the top of the radiator that is essence capped off the channel that was in the threads. I could not tell if the copper washer had embedded itself there or if it was the factory setup. And unfortunately I would not recommend digging out the embedded washer for obvious reasons. I dug mine out after the radiator was out of the vehicle and I was discarding it for the brand new aluminum radiator from VW South Africa.

The third thing I've learned is the answer to "Do I look fat in this skirt?" is always, unequivicabily, "No."

(From last I checked the bolt in the parts microfiche (ETKA) is just listed as a regular bolt.

Now that's not to say that some Vanagons don;t have a groove in the bolt or an actual hole. I'm just sharing my experience.)

Good luck Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA