Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:34:37 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Engine replacement for 84 Vanagon
Comments: To: Harold Jaynes <petromac@EARTHLINK.NET>

>I'm wondering how the engine replacements are coming along for those >that have elected to do so. I have been off the list for about four >months so I have not seen any posts since then. I notice that the >Subaru engine folks have their own mailing list now. I have three >questions: > >1) How are the people that have used the Tiico (sp.) transplant >doing with their Vanagons? Installation problems? Maintenance >problems at all? Can you recommend a shop that has done these >installations with no fuss?

I can't see why (apart from blind prejudice) anyone would want to go this route. The VW straight-4 was never a quiet or smooth engine (in fact it's noisy abd coarse). When first released it was (in 1.3, 1.5 & 1.6 versions) a strong performer, but as it grew in size to 2.0 it actually LOST power and becamne coarser. Australian car magazines consider it a poor engine. The only good thing about it is it's reasonably reliable. The 2.0 will move a van, but not much faster than a healthy VW wbx, and no doubt slower than a nonUS-spec 112hp wbx.

>2) Does anyone on the list have the Porsche 3.0 engine with the >converter package from Martin Schneider (sp.) Personally, I think >this would be the funnest and you could always sell the engine >pretty easily if you got bored with it (if that's possible). What >problems have they had with this installation if any? Any >post-installation problems? Is the engine too strong for the tranny?

Marty Schneider's MSDS "Range Panzer" kit comes as a full installation kit for the 911 engine AND G50 trans. He won't split a kit to sell engine-only or trans-only parts (a pain, as I need the trans parts... hey, if you want one half & I want the other, what if we buy and divide a whiole kit??). Some reckon the VW 091/094transmissions can take a lot of extra power/torque. I don't believe it. But Albins Gears in Australia makes the strongest aftermarket gears (and include a thicker mainshaft) anywhere, and will make ratios to order; about $1000 Australian or a bit more. I don't trust the case, as if you strengthen the weak internals of a weak trans, you then pass the failure point on... in this case the case or diff sidecover.

>3) Has anyone done the VR-6 transplant? From reading earlier posts >over the years, I'd read about any and everything, but never about >the VR-6.

Yes, the VW V6 (no longer called VR, I think, except possibly in USA) is popular in Germany. Jurgen Gembler runs the bulli-forum and has one, using a G50 trans. Another claims to have the V6 with its own trans fitted!

>Any responses would be greatly appreciated. My options are to >rebuild the engine, and the options above. I prefer not to go the >Subaru route.

Why not? You get an extremnely reliable engine, and if you go for the 3.3 EG33 engine you get 250+hp as well, and the Porsche exhaust note. This is the engine I've bought for my conversion. At least as reliable as the Porsche, more power and more exclusive! -- Regards Andrew