Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:34:37 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Subaru wbx reliabilty

>I really feel that the Subaru (sp?) conversion is for those of us in the >Vanagon world who actually are more sado-machistic (sp?) than normal. I mean >all of us own at least one Vanagon which shows that we enjoy pain or perhaps >just the occasional adventure. However the folks with the Subie motors take >the cake as far as I am concerned.

None of the numerous subaruvanagon listees regret their conversions. And there are postings wanting to buy Subaru-powered vans, so they have resale potential.

>1. You have this crazy complicated wiring harness which is like 12 feet long >that you have to unravel first. Many of the weak never make it through this >initial rite of passage. You see their shattered dreams in a FS post to the >list or on ebay.

Completely unnecessary, and those who give up will never have heard of the subaruvanagon list, where all of these issues are regularly addressed. Many listees say they managed the wiring okay, and for those who don't want to attack this or pay someone else to do it, there are aftermarket computers available to cut this pain out completely (this route also gives power/torque improvements, as they are tunable). Link in NZ and MoTech in Australia. The Link costs about $400US to buy in NZ.

>2. After you get past this first hurdle, you still have a used engine. >Unless you actually drove the Subie, who knows what abuses it has already >endured. At least you knew the problems that your waterboxer had. Now you >have someone elses problems.

These engines just don't seem to give trouble. Huge numbers of used engines are brought into NZ from Japan, and I have talked to mechanics and importers. They are all extremely impressed with the EJ/EG series engines' reliability and durability.

>3. Many of the folks that I have talked to who have done this conversion do >not describe their ownership of a Subie powered Vanagon as "carefree", or >"low maintenance". Two folks I have spoken with had their great, reliable >Subie-boxer lock up on them due to lack of oil. Several others have >described exhaust crack chasing, and the idea that your conversion is never >really done, you are always tweaking something or redesigning something.

KEP's initial exhaust kit design was faulty and kept cracking. Apparently rectified later. Any decent exhaust shop can make a reliable exhaust for this conversion.

>4. In spite of all of this none of the people who I have talked to, who have >done this conversion were really unhappy with it. (Which just goes to show >how warped we all really are:-).

No; sensible (the subaruvanagoneers, anyway)

>So if you enjoy tinkering, or adventures and want more power, then go for it. > But the reliability is really just an illusion. Just my opinion. Feel

What is there to need tinkering? Getting it right first time is important, and these are the issues: -computer/wiring -cooling system plumbing and temp senders -throttle cable -fuel line/pump -exhaust -engine mounts -clutch (KEP's crossmember causes chatter; use Smallcar's crossmember) -tachometer connection -transmission reliability (the only one which is a real potential headache)

All of these are addressable, and only the trans should be really expensive to rectify. -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut Friends don't let friends do Windows