Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Feb 2002 06:18:37 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Mazda RX7 oil cooler on Westy

I've made several post recently on an RX7 oil cooler that I installed. http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/rx7cooler1.jpg I'm not saying that this is the end all, fix all solution to your Air Cooled Type IV engine cooling problems. I had been considering an oil cooler for over a year before I rebuilt my engine. After the rebuild I installed a full set of gauges, CHT, Oil T, Volts, Oil P, simply because I wanted to know how my new engine was behaving. After seeing the 130 Celsius temp a few times I decided that an oil cooler was in order. I tried two coolers before installing the RX7 cooler. They both worked fine. One was just an additional stock type IV cooler on an adapter, http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/cooladp.jpg the other was a Volvo Diesel oil cooler http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/oilcooler1.jpg. The fact that they worked fine in 30-70 degree weather wasn't too much encouragement when the problem I'm trying to address is that we have over 30 consecutive days of over 100 degrees here in Texas and I often fight head winds to get to my camping sites unless I just go to the ones with a tailwind assist. After checking out what vendors had to offer I decided that a cooler kit that was designed to sell retail for $80.00 was just an $80.00 kit. I perceived that a very fine cooler that had a thermostat built in and a retail price of over $400.00 might be a good $20.00 investment. I futzed around with this cooler for a month, an hour at a time, trying to decide if it had the volume, cooling ability, how the thermostat worked, flow restrictions and possible mounting locations on my Westy. All that said; This is still a test project that I'm working on ........ nothing is cast in iron at this point. I'm not advocating that every Air Cooled Vanagon or Westy owner make this kind of installation on their vehicle. So far I'm pleased with the cooler, it was a relatively inexpensive and the installation just wasn't all that complicated. I've invested about $80.00 in this installation and unless it proves to be something really special that I haven't seen yet, then the $80.00 kit is a good deal too. If I'm way off track on this cooler and its advantages I'll post my results to the list so everybody else can take the simple approach and not reinvent the wheel as I've tried to do.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.