Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:53:46 -0500
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: HEAT glorious heat!!!

So let's see... 20 years back, that van was ten years old... perhaps the heater boxes were perforated, the flapper-boxes out of adjustment, the supplemental fan fuse blown (common) or an activation cable kaput. Or perhaps all of the above.

Seriously, if all of the pieces are in place, and adjusted, your heat *can* be glorious in an air-cooled van. With a little ingenuity (recirculation, insulating, etc.) it can be incredible.

The only time we get chilled is during a couple of LONG (15 mile) downgrades we frequent where the motor wasn't doing any work, so not producing BTU's. We learned to 'super heat' the van on the climb (heat on full until it almost isn't bearable), then shut it off until we've plateau'd at the base of the rise.

From historic, walkable Mount Olive, NC,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com Alliance: www.ntara.com Home: www.MountOliveNC.info