Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:51:18 -0800
From:         Walter Evens <wrevens@MYEXCEL.COM>
Subject:      Replacing Rear Main Seal

I have to pull the transaxle to take care of a nasty leaky main seal. I'm going to do an oil and filter change and auto tranny filter and fluid change as well.

What other things should I attend to while I have the transaxle out? Do the CV joints need lubrication? Should I replace the transaxle gasket and oil? I thought about replacing the tranny seals, but the local VW shop guy said if they aren't leaking, then leave them alone.

I would appreciate any input that may prevent problems in the future or in other words, I would rather take care of it now then have to pull it again later.

Walter Evens Hesperia, CA, USA 2-85GLs