Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:09:08 -0500
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: <AIRS> 81 Vanagon Help

I'd agree with most of Stan's stuff... Recapping thusly, and asking a few more questions.

Points are the most likely cause, based on the limited info. I'm sure it will spark at start, or low idle, but not under load with toasted points. Walk them through replacing, doing a "matchbook cover" dwell setting, and a static timing setting, which will get them to a VW dealer, or even an "All Tune and Lube" type place to get it corrected.

I wouldn't futz with the condenser as it requires pulling the distributor to replace it, and we don't want our neophytes doing that.

If they can't get points, file the old ones (pray they are in a place where they can buy a small metal file). The two halves come apart by gently pinching the spring, and pulling the movable point and spring off the hinge pin. Dress the points to be convex, NOT flat, reassemble, clean ALL grease off (water and a clean rag will do this). Set the dwell with matchbook cover or double-folded $ bill.

Clean the rotor, and the brass contacts inside the distributor, and clean away all carbon tracing inside the cap.

If all of this fails,

From historic, walkable Mount Olive, NC,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com Alliance: www.ntara.com Home: www.MountOliveNC.info

Shawn wrote:

"Volks:

I got a call last nite from a couple of bussers having trouble with their 81 Vanagon. Neither knows much about VW or autos for that matter.

Symptoms: Wouldn't start. May have burned up the starter trying. Starter has been replaced. Then, while driving noticed a loss of power. Backed off the accelerator and it regained power. They had a non-VW mechanic "adjust" the timing. Ran well, then sputtering/losing power again. Now it won't start. Starter working intermittently.

I'm trying to talk them thru as much as possible before I drive 2 hours.

So Far:

Battery o.k. Starter works most of the time. It has spark. I've got them trying to adjust the timing (without a timing lite). Fuel Filters o.k.

I don't know much about the Type IV. Is there anything they should immediately check before trying to troubleshoot the FI system?

Please respond B/C. I'm on Digest Mode.

Thanks Shawn Clark 71 Westy 84 Westy "

I had similar experiences and it turned out to be bad points and condenser. Don't know how to diagnose it but me mechanic knew :-).

Maybe somebody can chime in.

Karl.

Karl '81 Westy "Jenny" Wilmington, DE