Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Feb 2002 20:00:16 +0000
From:         TJ Hemrick <themrick@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anyone running a Porsche 6?
Comments: cc: andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ

Andrew, After working on VW's for over 30 years and owning both VW's and Porsche for about 16 I feel you are not only wrong, but biased heavily against Porsche motors. I've worked hard enough to get not only a VW Syncro weekender but an 86 911 Carrera. While stationed in the military in Germany I had a beater 73 911. Both vehicles performed perfectly. The flat out acceleration was truly phenomenal. Considering the later model motors are bigger and stronger I'll comment on those. They would be an excellent swap for any air-cooled van. (I would stick with a water cooled for the later vanagons) I've had to do one tuneup on my 911 and it was the same as any other car. A lot more oil and the time was a little longer due to the valve adjustment but nothing more than my old Honda needed. So far even minor items are no more or less than similar VW Vanagon items in both availability or price. I turned a 13.9 second quater mile time on that 14 year old car with street tires. So your statement about being "magical" is way off. I can fit my wife, two kids 20 months and 3 months in car seats) and stuff for a weekend down in south Florida just as easy as the the Syncro. I get better gas mileage than the Syncro. I know of several people with over 300,000 miles on their STOCK 2.7 motors (the ones with the worst reputation), I 've also heard of a guy in California with over 450,000 miles on a motor. True, their were some turbo motors that trashed their valve guides in less than 30,000 miles but that was way back in 1977-1979 time frame. Those motors are a work of art AND enineering. I don't know what it costs in New Zealand (I imagine it's crazy) to maintain a Porsche or Vanagon but here in America it's just a walk in the park. I do my own work and I'll probably never go back to anyother make. I'm sure the flat 6 Subaru motors are great but I don't think the parts or total number made are anywhere near the number of Porsche motors made.

Later,

TJ

96 911 87 Vanagon Syncro 93 Corrado SLC ---------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone popped a Porsche 6 in their Vanagon? I used to have a couple of 914's and the swap was fairly easy on those, can't imagine it being much more painful on the Vanagon.

There are quite a few Porsche sixes fitted to Transporters of all types, including T3s. MSDS makes a "Rage Panzer" kit for Syncros... 911 engine and G50 trans.

Porsche 6-boxers aren't the magical beasts generally imagined. Apparently 2.7s and early Boxsters give (EXPENSIVE) trouble. And their power outputs aren't that good (except for the ultraexpensive turbos).

Subaru's 3.3-liter EG33 six is super-reliable, not too expensive (FAR cheaper than any Porsche 6), relatively inexpensive to fix (in the extremely unlikely eventuality of one ever needing repairs) and at least as powerful as any equivalent-powered Porsche donk, either luft or wasserboxer. AND it can be hopped-up considerably, fitted with turbos etc. Hence, though initially I wanted a 3.0 or 3.2 911 engine, I was more than happy to grab an EG33 when I learned about them. -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut Friends don't let friends do Windows