Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:49:00 -0500
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: wbx reliabilty

Good day to you all. I'm an amateur mechanic (maybe not so amateur anymore), I use to rebuilt " engine heads" on motorcycle (air & water cooled) as a hobby (still do sometime) and did over 25 cars, mostly Mazda, Honda & Toyota (4 cyl. Only) for friends (I have many friends now, strange!!!). I only do engine work and mostly "heads jobs!!!" (Gasket, seal, valves and cam). So don't tell me that the heads gasket problem on the 1.9 & 2.1 are VW's problems, it's a common 4 cyl problem from the 90', all car that had there head gasket change had about 60-100k miles (100-160k-km). This is not the case of a typical type of driving/driver, all where different drivers / type /condition/women/men/automatic/manual. This is somewhat a normal problem. The Vanagon Water-cooled is no exception. I would even say that it is superior, it is underpowered and it work harder than most small 4-cylinder car. So for the size of its engine/ weight, it is a reliable engine. The only special thing about the van it' is cooling system, it' damn complicated for a 4 cyl engine, with so many cooling line and junction. Those need replacement and frequent check-up, and that is the problem!!! Another thing is the flat-4, it' not so easy to work on, it's low and many parts are difficult to reach or remove. Most Westy owner are "non mechanic oriented" people, not to say that they only put gas and run the van. I have an 87 GL and running on original head (heads gasket change for precaution last year, old heads where in good condition) and I did 2 x 12.000 miles trip across Canada / USA in the past 2 years and I had only minor electrical problem due to our salty road / corrosion here in Canada. Many corroded wire problem. I have to say that the PO (bought the van new) took good care of it, that the key "maintenance".

Note: how to check if the head gasket are due or need replacement soon, put you nail on to the outer black gasket, if it's hard like hell they will need replacement soon. They need to be somewhat soft.

Sorry for my poor English guys, trying my best. Ben from Montreal, Canada

Another note: We are the city of import 4 cyl. car in north America, so I know what I am talking about.