Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:39:19 +0000
From:         Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Sound deadening

I'm working my way through my '78 Westy with a large roll of asphalt walking pad material. It is not self-adhesive but the price is right. I paid $45 for a roll large enough to do my Westy and my Beetle.

I'm using commercial upholstery adhesive and I recommend a heat gun or a torch to heat this heat to get it to lay flat. I had little trouble inside the nose of the van and lot's of trouble in the doors. I cut the pieces smaller to fit around the internal ribs and such. I was careful not to obstruct the drains in the bottom of the doors.

The fellow that sold it to me showed me that one side is covered with a thin cellophane that you remove leaving a softer tar face that can be heated for adhesion. As I mentioned above, I was using glue. It works fine b/c where it is done properly I doubt I could pull it off but where it did not adhere properly it was my fault (dirty surface).

So far I have just done the inside of the doors and nose and let me tell you the difference is amazing. I have not driven the van yet - very, very slow progress on this project - but when you close the door it sounds like a vehicle much more expensive. When you thumb the body it is much more of a deep thump. \

When I used to close the doors (newly rebuilt by me window mechanism and latch) they would not rattle but quite light. Certainly like a 55 gallon drum. I hope to eliminate the drumming of the sheet metal, dampen any noise created by rain on the outside of the Westy's nose, and the echo's will be killed by nicer upholstered door panels. A friend simply upholstered her door panels all the way through the van with a positive result over the vinyl that they were.

Now take this with a touch of salt or two (or more) but the fellow I bought my material from said that is was made by the same company that made Dynamat. I can usually tell when I'm being B.S.'ed but this time I was not sure.

I'd like to hear your opinion: I've read the Hewlett-Bulley site and I'm worried that his methods would lead to rust despite his concerns mentioned. I know VW - actually Westfalia put fiberglass in the walls of the van but isn't anything likely to lead to rust that could hold moisture.

I plan on sealing the top and side of the joint between the materials I used to soundproof my doors and walls and eventually floors with Waxoyl, leaving the bottom edge to drain and maybe aid in breathing a bit.

And yes, I'm a bit behind on my list mail as usual.

Chris M. <Busbodger - "TEAM SLOWPOKE"> Cookeville, Tennessee

ICQ# 5944649 scm9985@tntech.edu

'78 VW Westfalia (67 HP -> that is...67 Hamster Power) '65 Beetle - Type IV powered '99 CR-V AWD station wagon '81 CB900 Custom moto-chickle 2.5 Corvair engines for my Trans-vair Conversion