Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Feb 2002 12:29:06 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Exploded diagrams and Value of Microfiche Vanagon Manuals
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>

At 05:55 AM 2/23/2002, Andrew Grebneff wrote: >Ugh! I refuse to do this. Why pollute your Mac with Windoze?

Why cut off your nose to spite your face? Windows *isn't* a religion -- no, really -- it's only a chunk of code. If the code runs on your machine, and lets you do something you want, why not? Mac bigots sound just as silly as DOS bigots and Windows bigots and Unix bigots and VMS bigots. I don't think I've actually met a PICK bigot, though I once worked for a company that made/sold machines that used it, and it was well-liked in its user community apparently.

You didn't hear it here first, but it's true -- application software rules. If you need program X, you're going to end up with an OS that runs it, on hardware that runs the OS. Program X doesn't care what you think of either the hardware or OS, it needs what it needs. Having a decent emulator that lets you run software unavailable on your own platform is a great blessing. The MUMPS people got it right when they changed MUMPS from an OS to an application that runs under multiple OS's.

</soapbox>

david

-- David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"