Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:25:37 -0500
From:         Barry Mercer <bjmercer@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Pepper those heads

Hello all. Its still winter where I live and Moo, the Westy, is still hibernating in my ,very first in my life, garage.

Moo's heads leak a little in cold weather. I have yet to see huge pools of coolant , thank goodness, but she does leak!

When the weather heats up, and the van is used more frequently, nary a stain ! The heads seem to, as they say in boat building Newfoundland, plim up!

But here's the purpose of this note. Two weeks ago my neighbours celebrated 60 years of wedded bliss. I encountered a fellow westy owner at a celebratory skuff, who had a similar problem with his camper. Mine is an '88 his a little older.

Now this fellah is a retired truck driver - and he swears that this story is true.

He said to cure his heads from leaking, he took a quantity of pepper corns, the whole corns you'd find in a grinder, and tossed those into his coolant tank. The corns traveled through the system, lodged in the areas where the heads leaked, and like the boy with his finger in the dam, his leaks stopped.

He says they have been leak free for years.

I laughed and laughed.

But listees, is this a possibility? Could this work ? Can we toss those tubes of JB weld and trade them in for a spice ?

So there ya go. Something to mull over.

By the by, sadly, a scant two weeks after that 60th anniversary party, the husband passed away. A little piece of history with him. He was with the Canadian Army on Jun beach on the 6th of June.

Ya just never know eh ?

Regards.

Barry Mercer Sudbury Ontario

Moo - 88 westy 160k Km. ( or there abouts )