Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Feb 2002 19:35:22 -0600
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air Conditioner Question-Larry A
Comments: To: Robert Dalton <dieselsong@YAHOO.COM>

Robert Dalton wrote: > > When Larry A converted his 91, I wonder if he had to > change hoses. In 93 VW was using barrier hoses, > because 93 EVs used r134. I just wodered if you could > get away without doing this PITA hose change? On my > 80 Westy, I shudder to think of what would happen if I > tried to take off the old hoses. Something expensive, > or impossible to replace would undoubtedly break. > > Rob > The only things I changed were the receiver-drier and the O-rings there and at the compressor, which I disconnected to empty out as much of the old oil as I could. I considered changing the expansion valve as some people recommend, but when I realized how much trouble it was to drop the evaporator, etc., I decided to try skipping it. I am aware of the barrier hose issue, and I will not be suprised if I have to recharge occasionally, but one or two cans of R134a per year is a lot less trouble and expense than changing the hoses. When I checked the performance after about 2 months, it seemed to still be fine; air temperature leaving the evaporator got down to about 48 F. My overhead tunnel fell down some time before I fixed the AC and I have just left it off. The air seems to get up to the front just fine, and we don't bang our heads anymore. I believe that ester oil is the way to go. From what I have read, the original mineral oil is incompatible with R134a, but if some remains in the system, it will dissolve in the ester oil and not be a problem. PAG oil is used in factory R134a systems, but requires complete flushing of the system in the case of a conversion. It is also said to be rather toxic.

Larry A.