Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:06:12 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: BA6 Heater vs. Regular Heat

> What I am curious about is the regular > heating ability of my van. I have ridden in many VW > bugs of the 70's and found the heater to be completely > adequate. Of course I realize there is a bit more > cubic meters of interior space in my van to be heated > however. Can one even notice the heat in a van agon > when the factory heater is used alone?

In my opinion the factory heating system (sans gas heater) is simply inadequate for frigid climates. I found mine to be acceptable if the outside temperature was above freezing (and if the van was moving), but below that, forget it. You hit the nail on the head - too much interior volume, too little heat. I tried adding a fan inline with the heat exchangers. This increased air flow but decreased air temperature, since it whisked the air past the heat exchangers faster, thereby giving it less time to heat up (at least my theory). I then added a BA6 gas heater and everything was beautiful. Not only did I have instant heat, but it was as hot as I wanted it, and could be use while camping with the engine off. Having completely disassembled, tested, and reassembled the unit, I gained an appreciation for the several safety devices built into the unit. If the unit does not immediately ignite, it shuts off to prevent an explosion. If the internal temperature gets too hot it also shuts off. If anything it tended to err on the side of caution, which was fine with me. My present aircooled bus is not used in the winter, but if I were to use one in the winter, I'd immediately seek out another BA6 first (or at least a BA4).

Now, some others have stated that if you go through and thoroughly bring every component of the factory air heating system back to perfect condition, eliminating all leaks, insulating, etc., then it is indeed sufficient without a gas heater even in cold weather. I must admit that I cannot refute that. While I did spend a couple of hours insulating, looking for leaks, etc., I can't say that I spent days totally disassembling and reassembling the air heat system to bring it to mint condition before opting for the BA6.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT