Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Feb 2002 07:26:44 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacement Exhaust - Need Recommendations

> I need to replace the exhaust on my '85. I'm looking for a > balance between reliability, performance and cost. > Any recommendations?

In terms of a complete exhaust system, there are three options that I am aware of: a direct OEM replacement, or two versions of the S&S header system.

We sell a complete OEM replacement system for $285. This includes all of the pipes, gaskets, and muffler, but excludes the cat converter, which is $95 extra (stainless-steel-bodied) if you need it. This is virtually identical to what came with your van when new, in quality, fit, and performance, but at half of the dealer's price. We also sell all of the components separately, which means that down the road, if a single piece fails, you need only replace that piece. This is what the vast majority of Vanagon owners buy.

The second option (for the same price) is the S&S header system. The S&S system will increase performance very slightly, but also is a bit louder than stock. Reports from customers have been that it does not fit quite as easily as stock, and I would also say that it is not as heavy gauge as stock so it would be likely to last a bit shorter. If you had an '86-up Vanagon, where the stock system is $446 (or more for a Syncro), the S&S would also have a cost advantage over the stock system, but on an '83-85 the prices for stock vs. the S&S are the same. Without this cost advantage, in my personal opinion the S&S's advantages do not offset its disadvantages as compared to the stock system. But that's a matter of opinion, and I'm sure some would disagree.

The third option is the same S&S system, but specially treated with special ceramic coating that is often used on high-performance sports/racing exhausts. This is a 5th generation HPC ceramic coating, originally developed for aircraft, which S&S claims both prevents rust and holds in heat. I cannot personally confirm S&S's claim, as it is a new item. This coating does add significantly to the cost of the exhaust system: $523. But this difference could certainly be justified _if_ indeed the system really does last dramatically longer. Whereas I stock the first two systems, you must allow 2-3 weeks for the ceramic coated system.

My part numbers are as follows. Above prices include the Listmember Discount, which you must request when ordering. Stock System: 025 251 053EK. S&S: V70K. Ceramic coated S&S: V70KC. Cat converter for any of these: 22918

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT