Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:10:40 +0100
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: 87 Heated Mirror Glass Replacement Surgery
Comments: To: Kenneth Madsen <ncc0778@corp.attcanada.ca>

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I was wondering... if a glass shop can cut those soft curves and make it an exact fit.

I managed to get my glass off of the heater element (after about an hour of prying) and will take it in to see how much it would cost at the glass shop.

But I just went over to a VW Dealer in Germany, and they said that they can get me the OEM VW mirror for 39 Euro (that's basically like 35 bucks... cheapest offer in the USA has been around 64 dollars). And that price even includes the plastic holder and heater element!!! So I just may be tempted this time to go the easy route and get the new VW part.

I think I will pack a nice bead of silicone sealant into the edge between the glass and the plastic though... to keep out the nasty salt and grime that destroys the silver underneath, so the new mirror will last longer than the old one did (OK.. reality check here... maybe my Vanagon will not be on the road 15 years from now... sad but probably true).

RSF

<º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kenneth Madsen" <ncc0778@corp.attcanada.ca> To: "'Robert Steven Fish'" <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT> Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 9:46 PM Subject: RE: 87 Heated Mirror Glass Replacement Surgery

I had a local glass shop cut a perfect fit mirror for my heated units -they even polished the edges - looks stock- cost me 15 bucks each...then you can use silicone and attach them to the mounting plate.

Ken M. 87GL Toronto, Ontario

-----Original Message----- From: Robert Steven Fish [mailto:fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT] Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2002 6:47 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: 87 Heated Mirror Glass Replacement Surgery

Since my last posting was so sucessfull... I have another fun one:

My 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon has the sweet (and EXPENSIVE) heated power side mirrors.

Over time, the road salt seems to have crept very sneekily into the crack between the black plastic mirror backing, and the actual mirror glass, corroding the reflective material beneath.

The resulting brown edges are not only unsightly, but they are keeping my Vanagon from passing the 2002 vehicle inspection here.

Since the entire mirror and housing and electronic costs like in the hundreds... I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with REPLACING the glass only... and whether you can buy just the glass alone as a VW part??

It looks like a nasty job, as the glass is attached with a very sticky adhesive to the heater plate unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RSF

PS. Some advice for those of you who are in the same boat. When removing the glass unit from the large miror housing, DO NOT press on the inside edge as they suggest in Bentley's to get the attaching rod to show. Instead just slide a flat tool along the OUTSIDE edge, in a downward direction, to spin the locking ring which holds the glass unit in place. If you press on the mirror, and it is cold outside, and you have really bad luck... you will put about 3 horizontal cracks in the mirror... and then you DEFINATELY will not pass your inspection!