Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:12:28 -0400
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA>
Subject:      Westy Faucet Modification Long

If you just want pictures try http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mwstebbins click on "my Syncro Westy" and you will see 2 pictures of the sink Mod. Click on the thumbnail and you will get a bigger photo.

My stock westy sink faucet was first broken by me when I broke off the exterior mains water supply nipple, No big deal as in 3 different westies over 21 years (81, 86, 91 vans over 81 to 02 years) I have NEVER used the mains water hook-up, & never wanted to. I then sort of cracked the 12 volt water supply nipple so that was all she wrote for that.

A few years ago I had a Westy that had the pump faucet movable arm missing and I had hooked up a length of clear hose to the faucet and that had worked just fine, even better than the original as we now hand a water wand to squirt around the 'kitchen'.

So with my current faucet 'broken', I decided to try and see what I could do.

I went to our local Canadian Tire store and bought a 3-way bilge switch, left is ON, center is OFF, right is Push and Hold ON - release = OFF. I had some good 12 volt wire to wire it up according to the instructions. Easy, even for me.

I used 2 different clear hoses to step-down the size of the water hoses (from the BIG feed hose to a smaller sink size) gluing and clamping them into place. Then I dismantled the new bilge switch and FILLED the innards with di-lectic grease (spelling) so that the innards of the switch would not fill up with water and short out and/or rust out the innards.

I removed the old Westy faucet, and cut a round bit of black flat plastic to cover the hole in the sink, and the existing cork gasket & drilled holes to fit the existing screw-holes in the sink. I cut a square hole in the plastic to fit the bilge switch & a hole for the clear plastic hose to come up out of.

I put it all together as per the pictures and I now have a new sink faucet. I do NOT have any access to outside main water supply but, as I said, I have NEVER used nor longed for that feature of the van.

We (wife Pat & I) talked a lot about the Push & Hold On & Release - Off feature and we think that that will be a good feature as often we just want a squirt.

I have yet to actually try it while camping but I'll write back ONLY if it is a colossal failure.

Enjoy, Malcolm