Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:08:18 -0800
From:         Matthew Pollard <poll7356@UIDAHO.EDU>
Subject:      Electrical Questions for Headlights and Dual Battery (fwd)

Not mine. answer him thanks

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:38:15 -0000 From: jbrrr510 <jbrrr510@hotmail.com> To: vanagon@yahoogroups.com Subject: [vanagon] Electrical Questions for Headlights and Dual Battery

Last weekend I finally got power to my factory power windows. FYI, I took the factory power windows, power door locks, and power mirrors with wiring harnesses and relays off a salvaged pair of doors.

I had planned last weekend to also do the headlight relay upgrade at the same time as wiring up everything else, but figuring out the fuse block and all wiring diagrams in Bentley took longer than I expected. I think I understand things now... Anyway I stopped feeling accomplished at having windows that go up and down for the first time in three months.

Anyway, in doing all this I finally got a look at those two round grounding blocks up behind the fuse block. Which I connected the two grounds from the power windows to. However, I also noticed that after hooking up the power windows there were no available spades left. None for my power door locks (more on that in a moment), none for my desired headlight relay upgrade, none for my never to be powered power mirrors.

I should say here that I have a 1986 Syncro Westy Wolfsburg Weekender (1/2 camper pop-top) with factory A/C (not hooked up yet) and dealer installed cruise control (not yet hooked up to my new motor). So, there is a lot going on electrically speaking.

So I have the following questions for the electrical gurus on the list:

1) What do I do about being out of free spades on the two grounding blocks?

2) I have a factory installed dual battery system that appears to be isolated by a relay under the drivers seat. How do I test that it is functioning properly? ie. isolating the battery and discharging only the cigarette lighter socket located under the passenger's seat that the electric fridge plugs into?

I plan on adding a fuse block under the driver's seat for the secondary battery and running my auxiliary equipment to it (Stereo, Fridge, Lighting, etc...) but I'd like to know it's actually isolated correctly first.

3) When I hooked up my power windows (freeing a ground point by temporarily disconnecting my power windows). They would lock and then immediately unlock themselves. Any idea what could be causing this behavior?

4) When running the wiring harness for the windows, mirrors, and door locks I notice two short brown ground wires coming from the diff lock switch which were not connected to anything. I can't figure out what if they were supposed to connect to that they can reach. Any idea where these grounds are supposed to go to?

Thanks for any help!

Jon

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Buy Stock for $4. No Minimums. FREE Money 2002. http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/gd26lB/TM ---------------------------------------------------------------------~->