Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:29:30 -0800
From:         Eric Unrau <eunrau@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Hazard Lights / Engine Clicking etc.

Hi all. I'm new to the list and bought my first Westy 6 months ago (1989 - 140k km). 2 weeks later we took her on a 15-20k km roadtrip(Vancouver-Toronto-Denver-Baja-Vancouver) after nothing more than an oil change...in retrospect, I suppose we were very lucky/naïve. So far, since returning, I've only had to have the clutch replaced, and replace a split heater hose. Anyway, I have a few problems that I need little help with:

1) Hazard Lights - they work, but I've left the van on the side of the road with the hazards flashing and returned 1-2 hours later to find that the flashing has stopped. The battery is strong and the flashing resumes as soon as the key is turned. Any ideas on what is causing this?

2) Engine Clicking - for about 1 second after the engine starts there is a loud clicking noise that comes from the engine compartment.

3) Sour smell in cabin - I'm guessing that the rear heater core is leaking, since the smell becomes very strong if the rear heater is turned on. Is it ok to bypass the heater and maybe replace it at a later date? Never seem to need more that the front heater anyway...

4) AC - the AC pushes cool but not cold air. I've noticed that the fans on the rad-like device below the sliding door never seem to operate, also assume that system would need to be recharged once mechanically operational. Is it wrong to permanently remove the belt that drives the AC compressor? It must suck power even when the AC is off. Little use for AC here in BC.

Thanks

Eric

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Eric Unrau eunrau@yahoo.ca ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~