Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:34:59 -0700
From:         Dion Cooze <Dion.Cooze@METSO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Newfoundland (NVC)

Below is my reply to Hermann regarding his request for Info. I thought I sent it to the group, but didn't. Probably one of the more unique places in N.A.

Hi Hermann, Visiting Nfld. is something that you will never regret. I was born and raised there and now wake up every day dreaming of it's charm and beauty. Take note: allow enough time. It is a deceivingly large island with vista after vista, and I promise, the people that you will meet will inspire you forever. It can be a rugged place with a difficult economy, which will make you question why the 400,000 estimated population insist on staying there. You'll understand why after. Beautiful rivers, gorgeous ocean views, some of the oldest mountains on the planet, and as you suggested the viking and european sagas that continue to linger. The west coast has Gros Morne Provincial Park, which entails 2 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, being the Table lands(only place on the planet where the mantle has broken through the upper crust -neat geology) and the Viking Settlement at L'anse aux Meadows, that was unearthed by the Icelandic(I think)Ingstad's. The ruins are in great shape, worth the trip. And the East part of the island has Terra-Nova national park, another beauty. Tranquill and natural. Great golfing and camping. St. John's. it's capital, where I am from, holds some great history. It has WW2 armaments protecting the harbour(the world's most naturally protected), cobblestone streets with lots of Musical festivals, whale and iceberg viewing trips, and the oldest sporting event in North America, the Regatta, or "Regretta"; as the locals call it, after the hangover's that it tends to produce. Here, you will be in the most eastern city in North America(an South America for that matter). The camping is great, with wonderful fishing and day trips to keep you entertained. The local food is rich and delicious, as long as you enjoy fresh and seafood and fish. The only thing I have to warn you about is the climate. It can rain, fog, sun and snow in the same hour. As long as you're prepared for the weather, you may actually enjoy it. It's part of the charm. And like they say, :When in Rome, do as the Romans do." An awning would be a valuable asset, as the weather may not cooperate as you'd like. I see by the subject line that you are considering visiting in July. Good call. Late July, early August is the best time for Weather, and the first Wednesday in August has the aforementioned "regatta", a 100+ year old rowing event with a lakeshore full of games and raffles, a beer tent, and 100,000 great Nflders to party with. It is one of the few places that you can let your guard down and not have to watch your back. If you need something, ask someone. The people there are known to all Canadians as being the most friendly and hospitable. A logical approach would be to leave Sydney, Nova Scotia on a ferry bound for Argentia, Nfld. From Argentia it is a pleasant 2-3 hour drive to St. John's. There is even an affordable campground in Pippy Park, within St. John's city limits. And when you're done with the city you can drive west on TCH(trans-canada hwy) to access the rest of the island. You can drive direct routes for good time, or if possible allow time to leave the beaten path and follow the coastal roads around the "bays" that encircle the island. This is where the history of the Fishing jumps into the picture. You'll find that you've stepped back 100 years in some of these towns. And again, don't hesitate to talk to people. They'll want your story as bad as you'll want theirs. And allow time to visit the West Coast, and more specifically, the " Viking Trail" that will take you to Gros Morne and L'anse aux Meadows. From here, go directly south to Port aux Basques, which is where you will meet your ferry to bring you back to the mainland of Nova Scotia again. If you are on a tight budget, you can consider "gravel pit camping." Growing up, our family often would camp in these road side gravel pits for free camping, often with access to rivers for swimming and fishing. And remember to ask small town fishermen for an affordable boat trip if you're interested. Most of them have boats, but due to the collapse of the local cod fishery in the early 80's from International overfishing, they have more time than money. Well. you got me started now didn't you? And I'm at work! I could go on and on, so I'll let you throw any questions or concerns at me. I'd be glad to answer them. You'll be richer for having seen it, G'luck, Dion

I have some useful URLs if you'd like them. And you can dial 1-800-653-NFLD for any printed tourism media that they have. I do.