Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:25:57 -0800
From:         Al Knoll <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: tough shifting... pilot bearing?
Comments: cc: Jeff Field <sales@transaxleengr.com>,
          Bill Kasper <dragon@ipmts.ucsc.edu>

A note on proper alignment/adjustment of the linkage.

Fastidiousness, and attention to detail is mandatory here. I recently paid ~1200USD to have my syncro transmission rebuilt by Transaxle Engineering in Chatsworth, CA.

The first installer, not Transaxle Engineering, but another outfit, neglected to check the linkage for proper alignment and adjustment after installation. ~1000 miles later, the transmission began to pop out of 4th gear when coming off power. It happened maybe eight times before I went by my local VW wizard, Larry'Z Auto Works, here in Sacramento. Larry pointed out the flaw immediately and provided guidance for a temporary remedy that might allow me to drive the 350miles to Chatsworth. Unfortunately, the damage was too extensive to remedy. I drove the distance in 3d gear at a somewhat leisurely pace.

The problem had to do with the linkage binding due to an improper adjustment and not allowing the necessary 'float' at the rear shift rod bushing. This misadjustment caused 4th gear to only partially engage. The result was a worn-out gear set.

This adjustment is covered in detail in the Bentley and I can provide the specifications in .pdf format to the alternate vanagon list for your perusal.

Jeff Field at Transaxle engineering honored his 12 month internal parts warranty for labor with the agreement that since the failure was wholly due to improper installation that I would pay for the parts and apply for warranty reimbursement from the outfit that installed the transmission. He arranged to have the R&R done in Chatsworth as a "favor" from an excellent, long time service provider, Scott Tiffany at Bugs and Imports at no cost to me.

That's what I call bending over backwards to ensure customer satisfaction.

All in all a ~1600USD bill was reduced to the cost of parts (~300USD). Saved me ~1300USD.

Transaxle Engineering was really under no obligation to provide the R&R from their own pocket as that is not covered under their warranty. Conceivably, they could have pointed out that the other work was not due to any workmanship or materials defects provided by their company and left me to rebuild the transmission on my own.

This sort of service, provided by Larry'Z, Bugs and Imports, and Transaxle Engineering seems all to rare in today's automotive repair environment.

I applied to the outfit that installed the transmission for warranty relief in mid December. They're located in another state and although I have repeatedly asked for reimbursement on this and other warranty related items, I have yet to see any funds.

YMMV.

pensioner