Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:32:27 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cheap emergency gas can for INSIDE your van (Was: Mercedesgas
              can for spare tire)

AFAIK, fuel octane rating is not a power rating.

In any case, after thinking about my prior experiences I would say Vanagons may well run ok on a small amount Coleman fuel. My vehicles were carbed and had tanks that actually were empty when they ran out of gas. I pulled 3 empty 2wd Vanagon tanks recently and they all still contained a considerable amount of fuel. Adding Coleman fuel likely results in a blend with a significant gasoline content. The recirculating nature of the Vanagon fuel system would mix it up pretty quickly.

Mark

Max Wellhouse wrote: > > It was my understanding that Coleman "white gas" fuel was $3/gal. because > it's more like 104 octane and unleaded. I carry a FULL can of it with my > other vehicle liquids and have run out of gas on several occasions having > to run on it exclusively(fuel gauge is very inconsistent in the red zone > these days). Noticed no loss in power, but no increase either. Usually > just glad to have another 15 miles to get to a filling station! On the few > times I've run it "dry" and had trouble starting it up afterward, opening > the fuel pressure screw in the fuel rail and carefully bleeding the air out > of the fuel line(with old washcloths to soak up any spew) and that usually > allows the motor to start. Use an empty Techron fuel additive bottle with > the bottom cut out for a funnel. > > Damn, off on another one of those tangents, Sorry. > > Dimwitted moose and Flying Squirrel > >