Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:40:41 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: This guy again (3000 mi trip yada yada)
Comments: To: Matthias Kuster <choreboy@CNMNETWORK.COM>

At 10:05 PM 2/27/2002, Matthias Kuster wrote: >got off the web: My block has seen some grinding. Towards the right (facing >engine) there was almost 1/8" that was missing on the rounded, snailhouse >type top/ right part, plus some more traces all around- some old water pump >pulley's hoof prints from way back before my time with this van. There was >still a small lip left. It looked as if it could've been machined. My bad. > > Could it likely be that my problem was only a lack of pressure due to the >damaged mating surface at the water pump?. I haven't figured out how to

I really doubt it. If you look at that lip, it simply blocks off a dead area and prevents water from running in circles around the outside of the pump cavity. The place where the deepest loss happens is already in a low-pressure area. Unquestionably it makes a difference, but I really don't think that a minor loss makes a noticeable difference. Mine has been running that way for about 140,000 miles now with no overheating problems.

david

-- David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"