Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Mar 2002 20:25:06 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Simple and obvious

Fellow Vanagonians,

Give me your ear. I hope to spare you the extensive long way to solving the short problem. The only thing you lose is the experience of removing your gas tank, replacing the fuel pump and all filters.

These all were due for a change anyway, including the tank, so had I found the real culprit to my cold start problem right off the bat, I may have put off replacing the tank til whenever.

The real reason for the cold start problem I posted recently wasn't the coolant temp sensor, or anything else, but a cracked wire , broken where it comes out of the sensor plug, hidden by electrical tape.

After I unraveled the tape , the wire fell off. The symptoms all along were classic cold start - low start-up rpm, (500 rpm) and no power in low rpm, surging acceleration over 1000 rpm. Disconnect the coolant temp sensor , the one to the ecu, to get a preview of what may happen to you someday.

The wiring is now ten years old (91 Jetta), so not to confuse you , Digifant ll running the 95 ABA Golf engine. Some of the wires get brittle and crack in time.

I did this conversion in '95 and I have had good service with the Digifant ll. The only problems have been the AFM before the capacitor fix harness was added, and the coolant temp sensor. I need to re-learn what I was taught-" always look for the simple and the obvious" although this time the obvious was hidden by electrical tape.

Robert

1982 WestfaliaGet more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com