Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Mar 2002 13:12:55 +0100
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: dent removal ?
Comments: To: Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>

It is hard to really picture your dent... if it is in the soft fluffy metal, you will have good luck with a dent puller. I used to drill holes at the deepest parts of dents, and then screw nice beefy sheet metal screws into the holes (much larger diameter than the holes, so they really stick in there).

Leave the head a centimeter or so out, and either attach the dent puller, or try to grab it with a vise grip, and pull the dent towards you.

If it in a more solid area, then this may not be an option.

either way, you can also drill holes, if you have a good rust killing preparation like the POR-15 system, and try just about anything... once you treat the holes inside (if possible) and out, you can pack the body filler in, and start your sculpture.

The holes for pulling the dent, actually then help to hold larger chunks of body filler in.

Basically it sucks... and unless you are really good, and precise, you will always notice the scars... most important thing, in my opinion is to attack any rust and/or rust possible open areas, and be certain that the rust doesn't get out of control... as this will put your Vanagon in the grave... a few dings will not.

Good luck.

RSF

PS. I "learned" all my body work on an '82 Buick Skylark... and most of my fixes did last for many years, but I was not as concerned about the cosmetic appearance, as the Buick was ugly as Hell anyway.

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerald Masar" <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 4:36 AM Subject: dent removal ?