Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:33:59 -0800
From:         Ben McCafferty <ben@KBMC.NET>
Subject:      Re: It's smoking! Help!
Comments: To: Jon Joyce <okartguy@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hi Jon, No, it won't leave you stranded, it would just keep getting worse over time. If it's bad enough, it will also foul your plugs pretty quickly, and that could potentially leave you stranded. Think 2-cycle plugs, and you get the idea.

A compression test wouldn't really diagnose this problem, because it's measuring compression while the valves are closed, i.e. the valve guides are not inside the compression chamber. It would indicate bad rings or a burned valve or worn/pitted valve seats. Those three things would cause blue smoke, but it would usually be consistent when under acceleration, not when you let off the gas (though it could be worse when you let off the gas as well).

If you have bad valve guides, valves, or valve seats, they can all be remedied by pulling the heads and having them reworked. Find a good VW-knowledgeable shop, not just any machine shop. If it's rings, you'd also need to at least do a top-end (pull the cylinders and replace rings, break glaze in cylinders, lap cylinders into reworked heads, replace cylinders and heads with new pushrod tubes as needed).

If you do just the heads, you will probably want to lap in the cylinders again, since they may no longer be perfectly flat on the end that meets the heads. So if you pull the heads, you may as well do rings at the same time. While you're going that far, it wouldn't hurt to have endgap on your crankshaft tested, and if it's out of whack, you may want to do a full rebuild. This whole job is a lot easier if you just drop the engine, and you'd be surprised how fast it goes.

Welcome to Pandora's Box. bmc :)

"Faith will move mountains, but you'd better bring a shovel...."