Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Mar 2002 12:31:03 -0700
From:         Blake Thornton <thornton@MATH.UTAH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: more fuel problems!!!!

> There is always the fourth possibility..... > > You are out of gas! >

I'm almost embarrassed to post this, but I just drove from St Louis back home to Salt Lake (in total, I put about 4500 miles on my van in the trip).

Before leaving, I was having problems with my van cutting out and dying. You can look in the archive for the detials if you want. Anyway, I thought I finally had it fixed and I had traveled about 3800 miles without any problems.

Well, going west along I-80 in western nebraska, the wind had been really blowing and it was probably 5 degress F out. I made it chappell and my trip odemeter read 180 miles or so. Well, there was nothing open in Chappell, so I went on to the thriving metropolis of Sidney Nebraska. Well, my van started sputting at high speeds (something that it was doing before the trip that I thought I had fixed). There is no way I could be out of gas, I usually can go 260 or more miles very safely. My gas gauge was still reading about halfway on the orange - so not at the bottom.

Well, my van finally stopped at about 6 miles out of Sidney, and it was cold. Wind was howling, and without the wind, it was probably 5F out and it was probably 9PM. I thought for sure something really bad had happened and my old problem was back.

Well, I hitched into town and called a tow truck. I had him tow me 100 miles to Cheyanne (where I would prefer being if something bad had happened). It cost me $20 with AAA. the first thing I did in Cheyanne was fill up my van with 15 gallons. Well, I was out of gas and my van drove fine after that the whole way back to Salt Lake.

Blake