Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:28:29 -0500
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] cross country Vanagon query?
Comments: To: Wil Haslup <dhaslup@yahoo.com>
Comments: cc: vanagon@yahoogroups.com

Wil,

There are loads of special organizations to help old VW's that get stranded far from home:

1) Get AAA, you can even cancel it when you reach your destination (though I would keep it personally).

2) AIRS (Aircooled Interstate Rescue Squad) - Almost 1000 members worldwide, the organization is dedicated in helping the VW owner as he/she travels to and from their destination. Numerous volunteer contacts to aid in your travels. Driveway camping spots, transportation help, mechanic referal, parts, spare rooms, or just a place to stop and relax when on the road. http://www.type2.com/~airswork/rescue/index.html

3) Transporter Tourist and Travelers directory (TTT) - Jointly published once a year through LIMBO and NEATO, it is a volunterer list of members throughout the country who can offer assistance if you have a problem while your on the road. It may only be a camping space or a cup of coffee but its save a lot of people when they are having bus troubles. http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/

4) The Vanagon List - Anyone who loves Volkswagen vans should subscribe to this list. It's an endless fountain of wisdom and knowledge. (http://www.vanagon.com/links/lists.html) To subscribe to the list send email to: listserv@gerry.vanagon.com with the following body: SUBSCRIBE VANAGON Firstname Lastname

5) Assuming you have a manual tranny, if you are at all suspect of your battery or your clutch PARK ON A HILL FACING THE DIRECTION YOU WANT TO GO. In fact it is good practice regardless. It ain't pretty but you CAN start the van in gear if your clutch suddenly goes. If you have a hill to help you may even get away with starting in third (I've done it) so you can limp somewhere if need be. This is obviously much easier on interstates than in the city since you would not be able to negotiate stop and go traffic. It takes lots of looking ahead and planning to drive this way.

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- >Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 10:47:44 -0400 >From: Wil Haslup <dhaslup@yahoo.com> >Subject: [vanagon] cross country Vanagon query? >To: vanagon@yahoogroups.com > Hi all,

I've got an '80 Vanagon....not pretty but runs....a little bit of a rattle in the front somewhere....recently replaced a couple CV joints...some problem with spark advance in the distributor I think since I can't seem to get much power at high rpm...like in third and try to pass or on a hill.

I've sort of pieced this thing together for hauling purposes. I haven't driven it much but may have an employment opportunity cross country soon.

If I need to relocate it would be the most economical way to get a minimal amount of my belongings from coast to coast if I don't box 'em up and ship them UPS. I'd just sell the few pieces of furniture I've got but there are sensitive things like my computer, stereo, etc. I'd want to take.

My question is has anyone taken an older Vanagon from coast to coast anticipating at least one repair along the way? Its old, I'm a realist...something will probably break on me. It doesn't loose much oil and seems to run pretty good. If I let it sit for a while without starting it the battery goes flat. It really needs a master cylinder before I go.

I'm just wondering if I should risk finding myself on the side of the road somewhere in the middle of Arizona far from anywhere or anyone I know with a van full of my junk.

Opinions? Options? ....a list of reliable, reasonable Vanagon repair places across the U.S.? I'll be traveling from Baltimore, MD to San Francisco, CA if this thing happens.

Sincerely, --

Wil