Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Mar 2002 17:42:22 -0800
From:         phil stanhope <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rust Inhibit Kit (WAXOYL)-Is this the Holy Grail?

I guess you could call my Westy a Guinie pig for POR-15 after having applied two pints of POR-15 to all the rusted seams a year and a half ago. I followed the instructions closely plus I sandblasted and removed old seam sealer/loose rust(used 5 bags of sand) some of the rust is already back, especially the seams behind the rear wheels. I even used a rust inhibitor oil on the firewall side of the seams after POR-15 treatment. It 'Seems' this stuff is 65% effective IMO. Im still waiting for the rainy season. Im now looking for something like grease that will seal out moisture/Oxygen and thats why I started this post about WAXOYL Rust Inhibit Kit. I would like to inject this stuff with a needle everywhere theres metal touching metal so water and Oxygen cant get at the bare metal. If POR-15 gets scratched the bare metal DOES rust and the rust migrates under the POR-15 paint just like it does all other paints it just takes a while longer. I still think POR-15 is the best PAINT to coat rusted metal but I wouldnt say its a permanent solution.

PS DO NOT expose POR15 treated areas to sunlight/UV light. sand lightly w/200 grit and coat with primer ASAP Keep the POR can in the fridge(I use a little film canister to work with a little POR at a time so the mother POR-15 can does not get moisture in it as POR-15 dries through moisture dont ask me why, it does.

The POR is good just not as good as the POR saleman will tell you, otherwise the brooklin bridge would be coated with this stuff IMO.

Phil 84' Westy Tiico "Millenium Falcon" 60' Morris Mini rally car1340CC 84' Westfalia Wolfsburg edition--FOR SALE-FOR SALE-SE VENDE!!!!!!(Florida) AC, PS, 4spd. Super clean interior, Captains chairs, Rare removeable center bench seat for 6 passenger capability. Body has some rusty seams Rolling Chassis-(Has NO engine)-Perfect for a conversion project!!! Tiico? Subaru?

--- Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT> wrote: > snipped-------- > really think that the problem you will run into is > physically > not being able to prep the area according to their > instructions. > Take, for example, where the frame rails meet the > floor pan - > that's a typical rust spot. There's no way to get > down to bare > metal inside the frame rail, and no matter how > carefully you > apply POR-15 to the parts you can get at, the rust > will still > come back from where you couldn't. > end snipped -------------- > > I thought the whole beauty of these new miracle > chemicals, was that they do > not even like to have bare metal... they like to be > painted onto RUST!!! > > The POR guy has told me that the POR ACTUALLY > actually reacts chemically > with the rust - creating a "ceramic-type" > impenetratable coating.... > > If you just painted it on bare metal, it wouldn't do > that magic thing. > > That is the reason for the "etching spray" they say. > It serves to > effictively "pre-rust" the bare metal, such that the > POR will have something > to grab on to, and react with. > > But like I said, I have ZERO experience with this > stuff.. and will be > grateful to hear more real-life info like this. > > Nobody likes spending a summer attacking rust, only > to have it back in your > face the next summer. > > RSF > > <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ > <º)))>{ > > Robert S. Fish > Salzburg, Austria > 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender > 1987 Golf Cabriolet > 1991 Golf > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <Doug@BEACONTEL.TV> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 11:45 PM > Subject: Re: Rust Inhibit Kit (WAXOYL)-Is this the > Holy Grail? > > > I did not use their prep products. The first time I > ever used > POR-15 was about 15 years ago on an old Corvair - > when I > used it on the van in '98 I do not think I read the > instructions since I was familiar with it's use. > Maybe they > reformulated it and changed the application > procedure? > Anyhow this is what I did: I removed all the rust > that would > come off with a wire brush, then sanded, then wiped > down > with 3M degreaser, then applied the solution. I did > not use > the etching solution. I would have to say, though, > that if > you intend to take that much care in preparation you > will > probably be fine. I also think if you were to go as > far as > using etching solution on bare metal that there are > a lot > of things you could use as a coating that would work > just > as well. It is really the prep that is the key. The > coating > is important too, but without proper prep even the > most > expensive epoxy wonder stuff won't work. You can't > just > paint POR-15 (or that #M rust stuff, or Mar-hyde, or > any > of the other similar "rust converter" products) over > rusty > metal and call it good. > > I really think that the problem you will run into is > physically > not being able to prep the area according to their > instructions. > Take, for example, where the frame rails meet the > floor pan - > that's a typical rust spot. There's no way to get > down to bare > metal inside the frame rail, and no matter how > carefully you > apply POR-15 to the parts you can get at, the rust > will still > come back from where you couldn't. > > I think my point is that POR-15 isn't some sort of > magical potion, > and a lot of people think it is. For my money, > POR-15 doesn't > really do anything that proper primer/paint don't do > - properly > applied, either one will prevent rust. It's just > that "proper > application" is often problematic. > > That said, doing as much as you can is sure better > than doing > nothing at all! Good luck! > > Doug Fitz-Randolph > Freeport, ME > '90 Syncro > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Robert Steven Fish > [SMTP:fish@salzburg.co.at] > > Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 5:10 PM > > To: Fitz-Randolph, Douglas; > vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: Re: Rust Inhibit Kit > (WAXOYL)-Is this the Holy > > Grail? > > > > Just wondering... > > > > did you do it by the book? They only guarantee the > 300,000 year no rust > > thing if you use their de-greaser, as well as > their metal prep solution > > which effectively etches any exposed raw metal, > allowing the chemicals in > > the sealant to stick and react to it. > > > > I have only read good things... but would LOVE to > hear soome real life > > stuff.. before I throw down a few hundred bucks on > this stuff, and waste > > the > > entire summer coating my underbody, and reparing > all body rust on my 1987 > > Wolfsburg GL. > > > > Thanks for responding! > > > > RSF > > > > <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ > <º)))>{ > > > > Robert S. Fish > > Salzburg, Austria > > 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender > > 1987 Golf Cabriolet > > 1991 Golf