Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Mar 2002 20:41:48 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: looking for a CA smog legal conversion that is a clean install
Comments: To: "Smola, Tony" <TSmola@TRIBUNE.COM>

Tony, Repeat after me (the whole list can join in) 'Every motor in a Vanagon is a compromise' - yes every one!

I won't go into the non-CARB ability of the South African stuff as you are not interested in an I4 conversion of this nature. Keeping the wasserboxer is a compromise for reliability and our 15 degree I4 kit will require engine cover modifications.

Any kit is CARB legal if you follow the [paraphrased] rules: A CARB / EPA approved engine from a California Approved car that is as old or newer than the vehicle that it is going into (i.e. 1995 CA Legal Golf into a 1984 Vanagon) with all the smog gear in place and functioning as it was in the original vehicle.

To answer the other half of your question in a nut shell - there is no direct plug in kit for a 1.8T or a VR6 for your Vanagon. The 1.8T is the only one that will fit without modifying your engine cover if you mount it at 50 degrees using Diesel components and this is if you are lucky enough to find an older style 1.8T blocks originally from a manual transmission vehicle.

We are working on a 1998 VR6 motor for a fellow's Syncro DoKa and will have a kit available soon for the VR6 to mount this motor. I would sooner mount a VR6 than a 1.8T for the simple reason of air-intake / intercooler plumbing and expense of the motor and the electrical associated with the motor. The VR6 cost 3500 USD from Ron's Parts Inc and the kit will be 'by the hour' for mounting it into his Syncro with an estimate of at least 30 to 35h of my time start to finish plus expenses like fuel line, water hoses, steel, adapter plate and flywheel etc. I think a real world end bill for this fellow will be in the 7000 USD neighbourhood - a far cry more than a 2.0L I4 kit from anyone! BTW you will need to modify the engine cover for a VR6 ;)

Unless you have lots of money that you want to throw at your van, the exotic stuff is simply that, exotic stuff - it is all certainly doable and with the proper time and budget for the project it is a very serviceable and professional looking installation.

I am installing a 1Z TDI into my Syncro DoKa (at 15 degrees) and this is after a lot of careful collecting of a lot of parts over the past few years. Thank God that don't have to pay myself to do the installation as I would never be able to afford it! :)

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3 mailto:info@fastforward.ca <mailto:info@fastforward.ca> http://www.fastforward.ca <http://www.fastforward.ca> Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

• Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions • Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation • European Lighting for most Volkswagen models