Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:02:12 -0800
From:         Ben McCafferty <ben@KBMC.NET>
Subject:      Re: What size is the axle nut
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

's 46 mm but you probably don't need to take it off unless you need to > remove the backing plate. You can certainly replace shoes etc, and I think > you can replace the cylinder.

If you have a hard time finding a 46mm socket, you can use a standard socket instead. It's 1-13/16, which is 46.04mm. In the larger sockets, the difference from metric to standard is negligible, so it works. Sears sells this socket in 3/4" drive.

> > If you *do* take it off, remember it has to be torqued to 500 newton-meters > (360 lb-ft I think?)

Yes. I use a 3/4" drive breaker bar, and put a 6' piece of fence pipe on it to break it loose. When I torque it, I stand about 2' out on the pipe (I weigh 185#), and then torque to the next slot in the nut. You will need to have the car in gear, ebrake on very hard, and some serious wheel chocks to make this happen.

For the rest of the list, the 3/4" drive breaker bar with a reducer makes a very nice 1/2" drive breaker bar as well. If you happen to live in the Denver area, check out Charlie's used tools, around Larimer and 21st. Everything is 1/2 of new prices, and lots of snap-on, Craftsman, etc. with lifetime warranties.

tx, bmc :)