Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Mar 2002 21:34:42 -0800
From:         lchase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Curtain behind wardrobe >>>>> Set Free
Comments: cc: jbrush@aros.net

Folks,

A few days ago I asked for suggestions on how to remove the rear curtain that is mounted behind the wardrobe closet.

Got one great suggestion ...... that involved drilling a hole into the paneling approx where the rear screw should be and remove it that way ...... hate to hack up the paneling .... so saved that one for a last resort.

Apparently I have no life beyond working on the Westy .... because how the German Engineers would design something so dumb ... really bothered me. Started having curtain dreams ........ how sad.

Got to get out more.

Today I took one more look at it and damn if the light bulb didn't finally go off ...... no wait ...... I mean on.

Figured it out .... duh.

How to remove the rear curtain behind the Wardrobe Closet.

1. Lower the shelf over the sink /kitchen area. Enough to get to the "Micro" Screw (so tempting ... but I'll pass) that goes through the front of the curtain and holds the top rod to the van. This releases the front of the curtain ...... but you notice it won't slide off.

2. Open the storage closet in the rear behind the Wardrobe. On the outside wall of the storage area of shelf 2 ... there is a tiny slit in the vinyl material that covers the wall. Open this slit slightly and bamn .... there is the Micro Screw that holds the bottom curtain "Robe/Wire/String" whatever it's called.

3. Now move to the rear of the van and look up on top of this storage area. A flash light helps here ........ estimate where the curtain rod might be ...... and bamn (like saying bamn) there's another Micro Screw .... this one holds the top rod. Remove this and the curtain freely slides off if you go back inside the van and gently pull the curtain forward.

Hah ........ you brilliant German Engineers ...... you're gonna haft to do better than that. But nice try ... I almost fell for it.

Oh yeah ...... when you do step three ..... might want to be careful when you part the slit and remove the screw ..... it might easily slip out of your grip and drop down behind this material. Shoot ... now I have to figure out a brilliant way to retrieve the screw. Or pretend it didn't happen and take the next six months trying to find a screw with a head the size of a sand flea.

One other tip ........ a really long skinny Philips screw driver ... maybe a 6"-8" shaft ..... will help removing the first screw behind the overhead shelf.

Now I can sleep again,

Larry Chase 85GL Westy "RoadHouse" "She may be ugly, but she's slow and I love her so" Campbell ( San Fran Bay Area) CA