Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Mar 2002 22:38:45 -0800
From:         Eric Unrau <eunrau@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: CA Smog Legal Conversions/Facts

All this talk about engine conversions got me wondering about the engines used in the current SA bus models. Wouldn't they be the perfect fit? I suppose the whole "previously sold and certified in the USA" thing gets in the way...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Eric Unrau eunrau@yahoo.ca ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is a surprising amount of blither generated on the list in response to this reasonable query. I thought I would put out my obviously unprejudiced thoughts. Let us summarize the question as "What can I put in the rear of the Vanagon to provide alternative motive force while remaining registrable in the State of California without serious punitive costs or confiscation". The list of powerplant possibilities is limited but not negligible:

1. The first to come to mind would be the Kennedy sponsored Subaru 2.2L OBD1 engine. Details and costs are well covered on the subaruvanagon list, and the pros and cons have been discussed, seldom blemished by facts, in the archives of this list.

2. Other Subaru derivatives such as the 2.5 L OBD2 engine, the 6 cylinder alternatives and several turbocharged units. The requirement is that the engine installed be previously sold and certified within the USA; it be of the same year or newer than the chassis in which the unit is installed; that all emissions components be present as were originally installed and that the functioning engine meet the emissions performance of the original certified vehicle. Obviously there is another corollary to this comment regarding engines older than the chassis, but compliance is probably beyond the financial resources of anyone asking this question. In the same vane, installing an ODB2 engine into the Vanagon will be a real challenge for the backyard (or garage) amateur. In each of these cases, the Kennedy CARB exemption will not apply, and the final conversion will have to go to the referee. (See the GD Archives for details).

3. The VW I-4 engines. These are installed largely using components from the Vanagon Diesel. Of these, the best (IMHO) are the 8V non-crossflow units as they will fit without impact to the engine cover and the interior. The best of these is the Audi 3A 2.0L engine (88-92) installed with either its CIS-E engine and fuel management or conversion to the digifant II injection system. I've always considered the CIS system a PITA to route, and a mechanical kluge as well. I believe the 3A intake will install with no body bashing, but I won't be certain for several weeks. The second best version is the 1.8L 8V Digifant engine (88-92), preferably with the Audi 3A exhaust manifold. The fuel system is far simpler than the CIS group. The last of these would be the 1.8L 8V CIS engines for reasons cited above. The requirement is that the engine installed be previously sold and certified within the USA; it be of the same year or newer than the chassis in which the unit is installed; that all emissions components be present as were originally installed and that the functioning engine meet the emissions performance of the original certified vehicle. In each of these cases, the final conversion will have to go to the referee. (See the GD Archives for details).

4. Another approach involves the 2.0L 8V VW ABA (93 on) engine. This unit requires a Kennedy adapter to mount it in its orientation and will require a fabricated addition to the engine cover, etc, etc. I find the engine pricey but affordable, and the engine cover mods distasteful The requirement is that the engine installed be previously sold and certified within the USA; it be of the same year or newer than the chassis in which the unit is installed; that all emissions components be present as were originally installed and that the functioning engine meet the emissions performance of the original certified vehicle. In each of these cases, the final conversion will have to go to the referee. (See the GD Archives for details).

5). The VW 1.8T engine. Big pushup, requires Kennedy adapter, engine cover changes, probably is OBD2 and will trash any Vanagon transmission in short order. The requirement is that the engine installed be previously sold and certified within the USA; it be of the same year or newer than the chassis in which the unit is installed; that all emissions components be present as were originally installed and that the functioning engine meet the emissions performance of the original certified vehicle. In each of these cases, the final conversion will have to go to the referee. (See the GD Archives for details).

6). The VW VR6. Same comments as 5 above.

7). The VW/Audi I-5 engine. Reputedly hardy, long will probably have to work with Vanagon Projekt. Only CIS fuel management. I don't recommend it. Other comments as per 5.

8). Porsche variants, Mazda rotaries, Mazda I-4's, V6's, GM and Ford V6's, etc., etc. All near one-offs. Need special adapters, mount engineering, cover mods, -- to each his own.

9). VW I-4 diesels. These include the TDi as sold in the USA, and do not include the 1.9L NAD and TD engines sold in Canada. Now factually, you may never be busted for these because Diesels are not tested in California yet, but you never know. These could be mounted with little impact on the engine cover using the Vanagon Diesel components. The TDi is probably the very best match for the Vanagon, but probably too much for the trans.

The one conversion not listed here is the TIICO. It uses a SA engine, never imported into the US and certified. When the imported coughs up the cash for testing then all will be well. Until then, don't get caught.

Frank Grunthaner