Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Mar 2002 09:41:45 -0700
From:         Sean Garrett <SEAN.GARRETT@ASU.EDU>
Subject:      Eurovan Camper and Westy, WAS: shrunk the kids

I have a 95 EVC (Eurovan Camper) and a 1981 Westy. The EVC was our 1st purchase in 1998. Used at 57k miles for $20,000. It was a voluntary repo from the credit union. I have put a bit of money into it and I must say, it is reliable, fun to camp in, and gets ~22mpg average. It is the vehicle we take on long trips. Camping equipment is basically the same in it except it has a LP forced air furnace which I truly love. Also climbing hills is a breeze compared to the 1981. The downside is turning radius and ground clearance.

My 1981 Westy I bought from a salvage yard for 500 bucks and have put in at least 5k $$$$. It now runs reliably and is looking better all the time. The vehicle was trashed when I bought it but intact (very little surface rust, and seemed accident free) inside and out. I rebuilt the engine, have the interior out now for new soundproofing, insulation, carpet, and trim/panels. The fridge seems to work. I bought this vehicle because I could not dream of putting whitewater kayaks/buddies in the EVC. On a whitewater boating trip I am convinced that the EVC would start to rapidly show abuse, and its very expensive vehicle (new). So now I can use the 1981 for boating/hiking trips (higher ground clearance helps for crossing some creeks).

I also like the fact of no frills on the 1981, no thermostat and coolant system to troubleshoot/replace hoses/sensors, no power steering hoses/fluid, no power door locks/windows to troubleshoot/replace. Overall, very simplistic design to maintain (another reason why I bought it).

In analysis mode I have to say that both vehicles suck when it comes to highway noise. Buying tires for either of them is expensive. Maintaining the EVC is overall more expensive. Changing the oil in the EVC REALLY SUCKS (big shroud under vehicle to pull off to access oil filter). But for cushiness for the family the EVC reigns, never a complaint from the wife to go camping.

Sean Garrett 1981 Westy (his) 1995 Eurovan Camper (hers) sean.garrett@asu.edu

> -----Original Message----- > From: bob mendonca [mailto:bobnshar@SURFBEST.NET] > Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 9:15 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Honey, I shrunk the Kids!(so they can fit in my Eurovan) > > > Why are there so many Eurovans for sale? I checked on the > Yahoo site, and > they have 142 in California alone on just this one site. > Also, why are > there virtually no models for sale for the 1994-1998 model > years - it would

SNIP > Bob & Sharon Mendonca > 1985 Vanagon GL > 1988 Vanagon GL >