Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:54:20 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Motor Wobble?

I've noticed since day one of my installation of the rebuilt motor in my 90 GL, that upon start up, the torque of the engine first starting moves so much that the Stebro muffler clanks against the body smewhere and sounds like the engine is knocking initally.

Bought new rear engine mounts from Ken W. so that shouldn't be the problem(installed at overhaul time) and within the previous year replaced the front tranny mount with an original VW part. Last weekend, I was under the car briefly and grabbed the tailpipe and was amazed at how much motion I generated just pulling up and down on the pipe. I could even see the rotation in the transmission mount up front.

I've never had any problems from parts from Ken in the past and the front mount wouldn't wear out in a year(not sure the original mount ws bad). Could it be the "massive" increase in torque from the "half Lilly" Boston Bob engine? I don't think so. This motor has done this since day one. Another thought is the clearances of the Stebro muffler may have something to do with the noise, and no, I haven't had the wife drive with me huddled over an open back hatch to see how mucvh the motor moves during driving.

Anyone out there have a handle on how much the motor should move around. It appears to be difficult to discern whether or not the rear mounts may have sheared their bonds. These ere German made mounts if memory serves. Any thoughts appreciated as always.

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel